Wednesday 30 March 2016

And This Too..

Yesterday was rough. I had 2 medical procedures and the preparation ahead of time left me feeling very nauseous and headachy. It was one of those days that seemed to go on forever- and not in a good way. :)

 But last night as I was lying in bed, I began reviewing the day, and to my surprise I noticed how many sweet things also happened. Like my husband taking a very busy work day to be with me, the kind messages that our girls, my sisters and good friends sent to wish me well. The second warm blanket the nurse gave me to keep me warm and the way the doctor held my hand until I was asleep. The way my little cat sensed I wasn't well as she quietly waited on the chair outside our bedroom for me. The taste of buttery toast in my mouth when I felt better. And the sense of relief that everything went well.

For some reason, our minds seem to be hard wired to latch on to the unpleasant things. It takes practice to notice the good stuff. And there's always good stuff. It doesn't mean that we can't or shouldn't acknowledge life's challenges. Because we all know that that is part of life as well. And they make the sweet things in life even sweeter.

I like the phrase 'and this too' because it acknowledges an openness to include life in all of its fullness. And yes, it takes practice to remind ourselves that amidst the challenges, are nuggets of gold. Sometimes we have to look harder for them, but they're always there.
Always.

Namaste _/\_




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you came through your medical procedures well and safely, although we missed your loving presence last night at sangha. There's always a Nancy-sized hole in our group when you're not able to make it.

    Yes, "and this too" encompasses the whole thing, doesn't it, including those gems that can pass us by if we don't keep our eyes open. Thank you for this thoughtful post. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got through your day okay. Thinking of you always ��

    ReplyDelete